When I first started eating gluten free back 12 years ago, I quickly learned tasty alternatives to replace my glutenous foods. One of my favorite alternatives to wheat products is romaine lettuce. It’s crispy, light, and makes a great alternative to wheat shells, wraps, and sandwich bread. You don’t need to sacrifice taste and texture eating gluten free.
The recipe below is a healthy, low-carb meal, that does anything but lack flavor and texture. Double bonus it has garlic (which fuels your body with antioxidants that protect your cells against damage and ageing) along with numerous vitamins and minerals.
Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Boats
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Head of romaine lettuce
- In small saucepan, bring soy sauce, honey, garlic, mustard, sesame oil, water and ginger to a low boil. Mix in corn starch, stirring frequently, to thicken. Set aside.
- Brown ground chicken in medium-sized pan for about 10 minutes (drain fat during cooking). After fat has been drained, add about 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and continue cooking for about 3-5 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
- Separate, wash and dry romaine lettuce pieces. Scoop teriyaki chicken onto lettuce, top with additional teriyaki sauce and chopped red onion. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.